As manners, attitudes, and styles of dress change over time, so has the conventional understanding of what it means to be a “lady.” Though the term may seem outdated, there are certain aspects of ladylike behavior that are undying: elegance, courteousness, and a sense of respect toward oneself and others. Read this article to learn how to be a true modern-day lady.
1. Make introductions. If you are talking to one person and another person approaches, introduce the person you were initially talking to the person who has just arrived.
- In the business world, the order in which introductions are made depends on a person’s level of “importance;” in other words, on his or her level of seniority within the company. In such an example, you would first introduce the person of higher importance to the person of lesser importance, and then vice versa. Remember that the client is always of the highest seniority, regardless of his or her title.
2. Say please and thank you. While this may sound like an etiquette cliché, forgetting to say these things (even by accident) will not go unnoticed, and comes across as very rude.
- Say thank you anytime somebody does you a favor, however big or small; it will show him or her that you appreciated it.
- Always thank people for gifts they have given you. You may want to consider writing the person a note thanking them.
- Don’t abuse the words “please” and “thank you.”
- Add details when thanking others. Rather than just saying “Thanks” to a friend for talking you through an issue, say “Thank you for being so understanding. It really means a lot to me.” This will come across as more sincere.
3. Know when to say no. Being polite doesn’t mean being passive and letting others take advantage of you. It is important to learn how to politely tell people no.
4. Educate yourself. A lady is eloquent and can carry a conversation. This requires being well-read and staying up-to-date on the current events of the world. While this doesn’t necessarily require formal education, attaining the highest possible level of education that you can will be to your benefit.
5. Have good posture. Standing and sitting up straight are signs of a true lady. As an added bonus, having good posture is better for your back, and will help strengthen up your core! It will take some training to get used to this, especially if you are accustomed to slouching.
6. Be respectful toward others. Being a lady isn’t just about looking or behaving properly on the outside; it involves being a good person on the inside.
- When talking to another person, give him or her your undivided attention. It is polite, and will make for a more stimulating conversation for both parties.
- Don’t interrupt or talk over others.
- Offer your help to those in need.
7. Be charming. A true lady doesn’t just sit there quietly and let the world pass her by.
- If you don’t know how to be charming, start off by smiling more at people when you talk to them, and complimenting people more. Make your compliments personal; for example, instead of complimenting a person’s shoes, tell them that you think they have impeccable sense of fashion.
8. Don’t use profanity, overeat or drink excessively. Being a lady requires having self-control and will power, and each of these activities is an example of overindulgence.
9. Hold the door open for others. It doesn’t matter whether you are a man or a woman, offering to hold the door open for other people is respectful and friendly.
10. Stay calm, cool, and collected. Avoiding lashing out at others if you are annoyed, angry, or upset. Remain poised, and handle the situation rationally and calmly. This will prevent you from doing or saying things in the heat of the moment that you will regret later.