Pedestrians should always take precautionary measures when using the road. Being aware and alert of your surroundings helps avoid pedestrian road accidents. Here are some useful tips for pedestrians.
- Always use pedestrian crossings
- Never assume that an approaching vehicle can see you, or will stop for you – wait until all vehicles have stopped before you cross
- At intersections, check for turning vehicles before you leave the kerb, and while you are crossing the road
- Avoid crossing between parked cars or at the front or back of buses
- Wear bright, light coloured clothing at night or in reduced visibility conditions
- Avoid using a mobile phone or portable media player (so you can hear vehicles and concentrate on crossing the road)
- At traffic lights, make sure that vehicles stop before you start to cross, and don’t enter the road if vehicles are moving through the crossing
Want to run for Road Safety and help create awareness? Run an extra kilometer with us and help create Road Safety awareness. Find our more here.